Saturday, February 3, 2007

First Week in Kiboga

Blessings!

I have now been in Uganda for over a week and am amazed by the beautiful green landscape, the gentle nature of the Ugandan people and the creativity of the children here in Kiboga. Starting monday, I will be teaching french, english and a morning yoga class at the highschool I am working at. I will also start a healing circle for some of the local children and work at the local health clinic.

The last week has been spent preparing for the new school term. I have used some of the funding money for the school and they are constructing another building for classes. I have also paid for an internet connection at the director's house that the teachers can use to help prepare for classes and further the growth of the school and their own learning. Their ultimate goal is to construct their own community surrounding the school. Most of the teachers at the school were either neglected, or orphans themselves, so they have come together to give back to the community and children who live here. It is a beautiful, heart centered place!

We are coming to our last month before the beginning of the rainy season. The first day of rain was a shock as it fell so hard on the roof (made of sheet metal) that I couldn't hear my friend talking! The teachers thought it was quite funny when I ran outside to stand in the rain! It was unlike anything I have ever experienced!

While on holidays, the days here are quite relaxed so it was a good time for me to come - learn some of the language, get to know the area and the Ugandan way of living. I spend much of the day preparing meals with the director's wife (which will change come monday when we will eat at the school) In traditional Ugandan culture, women make all the meals, go to the market and sit on the floor to eat.

The teachers at the school are mostly men in their 20s and 30s. We spend a lot of time going to the market, taking long walks to find ripe fruit on the fruit trees, playing cards and frisbee and talking about Ugandan history and politics. In the evenings, we sit under the moon, or walk around town.

The children in Kiboga run bare foot, are incredibly creative and are slowly starting to lose their fear of me. We now play games and colour - I usually wake to a group of children under my bedroom window yelling "muzungu" (white person)

I have been teaching some yoga to the teachers - some of them want to learn to teach once I leave. We have spent many nights talking about the history and philosophy of yoga. I am certain the students will also enjoy learning about yoga as a lifestyle - we even did some candle gazing the other night

love + light,

nA+

No comments: