Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A wave of pink.....

Yesterday Rebecca and I took the softpower truck up to a remote area about 45min outside of Bujagali to visit a local primary school. We went up with some of the day volunteers and did a little painting to fix the outside of the school and make it beautiful and fun for the students. Rebecca and I also went into the Primary 7 class and taught english; they welcomed the break from math.

The school uniform was a bright pink colour and there were hundreds of children running around when we first came. After their lunch, they were able to play for an hour and many of the children began to crowd around to see who the visitors were at the school. It was quite easy to round up a group for yoga because the children would follow you as soon as you stood up! We began to join under the shade of a tree and watch as the group began to grow and grow....

Soon, we came to realise that we needed a bigger space, so I was taken out to the school field, hundreds of children running behind to see what was going on. There was a wave of pink flowing over the field as the children began to arrive. Slowly they were able to form in the largest circle I have ever seen - each student holding hands with the next - we made circles within circles until finally everyone was connected within. The children were incredible - all wanting to see and hear and experience what was going on!

We did some standing stretches and a roar of laughter made its way through the field. As they all joined hands, slowly each child began to use the suppport of another to move into a balancing pose - then bending at the waist moving back and forth until finally coming back to centre. It was a beautiful sight - hundreds of children - circles of pink holding hands moving back and forth in a moving tree pose on the big green field. With each stretch, there was a moment of hesitation. One would start, then another, then more would catch on. We opened the heart that day - raising the arms up to the sky and opening up the chest to the big bright sun. The director came bounding down the field, a big jolly man with a smile that went from cheek to cheek. I promised him that I would be back to teach again - with a few extra hands perhaps!

2 comments:

David Sadler said...

Hi Natalie, David Sadler from Vancouver here, remember me? It took forever but at long last I found a connection to someone doing work in Uganda. They are a cool organization called Power Of Hope. They do arts and creativity youth development type work. They are headed to Uganda in a few weeks and I sent them to your website so hopefully you all can connect! Keep well.

Islena said...

Greetings Natalie! Islena Faircrest here from Samadhi Yoga in Coquitlam, Canada. I am so glad to come across your blog, which I found when looking for your website. I have added your blog link onto my blog, and I wrote a little article about the wonderful work you are doing. I would like to explore the potential to help in donating for the yoga mats that you need shipped to Uganda. Is the shipping still needed? Please email me to let me know (but I know your electricity is not reliable as you mentioned). Blessings to you and all you are with.
In solidarity,
Islena
islena@gmail.com
http://esotericmom.blogspot.com